Recipe – Strawberry Chilli Sauce
by Debbie Bassingthwaighte
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Nut Free | Vegan
Strawberries are in abundance at the moment, so this is a delicious sauce to preserve your bounty and enjoy all year. It pairs particularly well with seafood or whenever you would use sweet chilli sauce.
- 1 kg strawberries – hulled and roughly chopped
- 400g long red chillies – finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder sauce)
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger – finely grated
- 20 cloves garlic – finely chopped or crushed using a garlic press
- 2 litres apple cider vinegar
- 2 kg organic raw sugar
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot (optional if you prefer a thicker sauce) – mixed to a paste with 3 tablespoons extra apple cider vinegar
- Place the strawberries, chillies, ginger, garlic, apple cider vinegar, raw sugar and salt in a saucepan. Stir to combine and bring to the boil.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached.
- If you prefer a slightly thicker sauce, stir in the arrowroot paste before you take it off the heat and stir well.
- Pour into warm, sterilised glass bottles or jars and seal immediately.
- The sauce will keep for 12 months if stored in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Refrigerate after opening.