Recipe – Vinegar Pickle – Agrodolce
by Sam Rogers
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Nut Free | Vegan
Here’s a very basic and delicious sweet/sour vinegar pickle that couldn’t be much easier and is delicious. This recipe is from Living Earth Farm.
- Thinly sliced vegetables (try zucchini or capsicum)
- 500ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (any sugar of your choice – white, raw, etc.)
- Spices of your choice (try a piece of sliced onion, a few cloves of garlic, or whatever you’d like)
- A clean jar with lid (a wide mouth jar works well but any jar is fine)
- Take your clean jar, and add your spices to the bottom.
- Then, add your thinly sliced vegetables. Fill to the top of jar and then pack it down.
- Heat your vinegar, with sugar and salt, to a minimum of 70 degrees c (you don’t need to boil it) and carefully pour over the vegetables in your jar.
- Fill to top of jar. Give a bit of a jiggle to remove any oxygen bubbles. Cap tightly.
- Flip the jar upside down, and leave on the bench until cool. The lid should contract and seal as it cools.
- When cool, flip the jar back upright, label, and store in the cupboard for 2 weeks before eating. This allows the flavours to develop.
- These pickles are shelf stable and will easily store for several months.