Recipe – Basil and Spinach Pesto
by Debbie Bassingthwaighte
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan
This bright green Basil and Spinach Pesto is a great way to use any perennial or annual spinach leaves you have on hand plus basil that’s growing lush following the recent rain.
- 1 cup fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 cups fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1 cup Cashews or Macadamia Nuts – activated if possible
- 3 cloves Garlic – peeled
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice – freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Zest – yellow skin only, no white pith
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt – to taste
- freshly cracked Black Pepper – to taste
- Blend all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor until nearly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary.
- Drizzle the olive oil very slowly into the mixture while processing until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta or soup, drizzled over vegetables, chicken or fish, or as a delicious dip or spread.
- Store this Basil and Spinach Pesto in a jar with a little extra olive oil on top, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks. This pesto also freezes well.