- This event has passed.
February Connect and Learn
19 February @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Connect and Learn + Share Table
How to Grow and Eat Tomatoes – presented by Vincent Parisi
Monday 19 February 2024
6.30 pm – 8.30 pm
Attend in person or via Zoom
Join us at Level 3 Meeting Rooms, Toowoomba City Library, Corner of Herries and Victoria Streets, Toowoomba, QLD 4350, or attend online. We’ll send you the Zoom link once you book.
This is the monthly Connect and Learn evening for Permaculture Toowoomba Inc.
Bookings are Essential
Bookings are essential so we have contact details and know how many will be attending. BOOK HERE
What We’ll Do
6.30 pm – Learn – How to Grow and Eat Tomatoes
Presented by Vincent Parisi
Love eating delicious home grown tomatoes?
Vincent will share the secrets and joys behind growing and eating this most magnificent vegetable (or is it fruit?) in the Italian tradition. He will teach you how to grow the best tomatoes and also how to enhance their flavours in the kitchen.
Vincent has recently published How to Grow and Eat Tomatoes (Like an Italian) and will share some tips from his book. Topics in his book include:
- The secrets of successful tomato growing with tips and techniques from Italian experts.
- The history of tomatoes, heirlooms and hybrids and how to choose the best varieties for your garden.
- All steps of tomato growing, from soil preparation to maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Celebrate the slow food movement and the importance of using the best quality ingredients in your cooking.
- Six traditional recipes that showcase the delicious flavours of tomatoes and how to preserve them to extend the harvest
- This book is the perfect starting point, whether you want to dabble in growing your own food for the first time, or whether you are a seasoned grower looking for special tips to get the best out of your tomatoes. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to taste the perfection of a homegrown tomato.
Further to this, Vincent will share his tips to grow tomatoes in the south-east Queensland climate, including navigating harvests around our summer rainfall to get a good crop.
About Vincent Parisi
Vincent has been creating with and learning from permaculture for ten years. Living in suburbia, he enjoys developing productive systems through experiment and learning from his garden. A horticulturalist and environmental scientist, Vincent has a deep interest in permaculture thinking and practice and its ability to teach and connect. He is constantly inspired by the potential of agroecological systems to become a sum of their parts.
You can purchase Vincent’s book at Amazon.com.au. If you enjoy the book, please leave a review!
Vincent Parisi and Samantha Haworth love sharing their sustainability endeavours at @Merrymakers Permaculture on Instagram. They document their wide range of interests from natural winemaking to wetland building.
7.45 pm – Connect – Light Supper (provided) and Share Table
A light supper will be served (including Gluten Free and Vegan options).
Sharing of produce on the Share Table opens after the presentation to allow plenty of time for everyone to place their donations, and then give you the opportunity to browse, connect and make your selections during supper
Do you have surplus?
We encourage you to bring your surplus produce, plants, seeds, books, craft supplies, and resources to share with others at our monthly Connect and Learn evenings.
Some ideas of what you could bring include – fruit, vegetables, herbs, eggs, honey, milk, jams, pickles, preserves, jars, ferments, starters, SCOBYs, seeds, plants, seedlings, cuttings, tubers, pots, tools, gardening magazines, permaculture books, recipes, patterns, manure, coffee grounds, compost additives, worms, mealworms, wool, fabric, craft supplies, soap, natural cleaning products, plastic alternatives, produce bags – the list is extensive.
Please bring whatever you can and then take home whatever you need within our culture of generosity and free sharing
2024 Membership Renewals are now due for all members
- Annual Membership of Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. is due by 31 December each year.
- It’s only $40 per person or $30 for a second or subsequent adult living in the same home.
- Financial Members can attend events and workshops during the year at no cost.
- You can pay your membership for 2024 at checkout when you book to attend this event.
- Membership forms will be available at the event for anyone wishing to join, or available here for download at http://www.permaculturetoowoomba.com.au/membership/
Free off-street parking is available under the library (enter from Victoria Street).
The venue has access for wheelchairs, walking frames, and strollers as needed. Everyone is welcome (including children with parental supervision).
We hope we see you there!
- Financial Members of Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. – Free
- First-time Visitors to a Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. Event – Free
- Non-Members – $10 per person
- Children attending with an Adult – Free (but please book so we know the total numbers)