Recipe – Spicy Beetroot and Apple Dip
by Debbie Bassingthwaighte
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Nut Free | Vegan
This fresh and spicy Moroccan-inspired Beetroot and Apple Dip is a delicious, vibrant and healthy option to serve with crudités. I’ve experimented with the flavours and it’s become an all-time favourite recipe that guests always ask me to share with them.
- 2 medium Beetroots – baked whole until tender, and then peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup Apple Purée or unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 tin organic Chickpeas or 1 ½ cups cooked Chickpeas – rinsed and drained
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly zested Lemon Zest or Lime Zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed Lemon Juice or Lime Juice
- 2 tablespoons pure Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Fermented Garlic Paste or 2 cloves of fresh Garlic – peeled
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh Turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh Ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon mild sweet Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon ground Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground Coriander Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground Allspice
- Sea Salt and cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves to garnish (optional)
- Place all ingredients except the sea salt, black pepper and coriander leaves into a food processor and blend for a couple of minutes until the dip is smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the processor as needed to ensure all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add a little cold water if the final consistency is too thick.
- Season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves (optional) and serve with fresh vegetable crudités.
- The dip can be stored in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week, but in our house, it never lasts that long before it’s eaten.